Monday, December 12, 2011

Nativity Ornament Tutorial

Today, I am excited to be participating in Gwenny Penny's fun
Haul Out the Holly,Gwenny Penny,Christmas tutorials
You should go check out Gwen's blog.
There have already been some fabulous tutorials.
Plus, I just LOVE Gwen and everything she creates.

Welcome to all of Gwen's wonderful friends!
We are excited to have you here with us today.

I will be sharing a tutorial on how to make these fun wooden Nativity Ornaments
My inspiration came from THESE fun nativity sets.
For a church activity we wanted to make the ladies a special gift.
My Friend Kristen and I came up with these ornaments that I am going to share with you today.
Are you ready to get started?
Supplies:
2-3/8" Little People Dad for Joseph (I bought mine HERE.)
2" Wooden Little People Girl for Mary (I bought mine HERE.)
1" Square for Baby Jesus Body (I bought mine HERE)
3/8" wooden nob for Baby Jesus Head.  (I bought mine at Joann's Craft Store)
Raffia
Jute
Wood Glue
Hot Glue and Glue Gun
Acrylic Paint (brown, red, antique white, and white)
Collect all your supplies.  I really loved the place I bought most of my supplies from.  They shipped same day too!  It was great.  I got it within a weeks time from when I ordered them.  You have to buy in bulk, but that worked for me since I was making 50 of them.
I just bought my paint at Michaels Craft Store.  You really could use whatever you would like.
Paint the heads first with the antique white color.  I used a small brush since these dolls are so small.
Once the heads are dry paint their bodies.  Brown for Joseph and red for Mary. 
Paint the Jesus body white.
Glue all the pieces together using wood glue.  Wood glue take a little longer to dry.  I did them at night and the next morning did the last steps.  The wood glue will hold them together longer though. 
Tie on some raffia and then hot glue on some jute on the back as the hanger for the ornament.  We glued the jute hanger on two places.  Right in the middle of the back and also between the two heads on the back.  It held the hanger straight so Mary and Joseph did not flop down.
You are done!
You now have a cute nativity ornament to hang on your tree.
I hope you will all go check out Gwen's wonderful blog Gwenny Penny.

7 comments:

Gwen @ Gwenny Penny said...

This is such a cute ornament, Tasha! I just love how simple it is, yet beautiful. What a great project. Thank you so much for joining in the Haul Out the Holly fun :)

Little Treasures said...

This is ingenious!! I love it!

Kate said...

These are sweet - great idea! Thanks for sharing.

KJ@letsgoflyakite said...

I absolutely adore this ornament. I plan to make one this weekend.

chris said...

These are so sweet, Tasha! Love the simplicity.

Mistress Arawynn said...

Those are too sweet. I have been looking for something to make for small little gifts. These are perfect. Thanks for sharing :)

Amy @ Increasingly Domestic said...

This is just precious!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...