Monday, September 19, 2011

Fabric Pumpkin Tutorial

October 2010 399
Can you believe we are to fall?
I love this season. 
Do you remember these fun Fabric Pumpkins from last year?
I thought I would share the tutorial again this year...but, early enough that you might actually make some.
They are so much fun to make.
I am sure I will be making a few to sell at the small boutique I am helping to put on.
And, a few more just for fun...or to give to the neighbors...or to someone. 
I just know I love making them! 
October 2010 389
Really, who wouldn't want these cuties in their home?  Mine are a little more rustic country looking...but I have made some out of more decorative fancy fabrics and tied a ribbon on them instead of raffia and those are fabulous too.  So, find what fabric you love...and make one or two...or 24.
Rotary Cutter/mats/rulers
Matching Thread
Needle (normal sized and an extra large one)
Sewing Machine
Crochet Thread
Fiber Fill Stuffing
Hot Glue Gun and Glue
Raffia (or ribbon)
October 2010 294
You are going to cut out a a piece of fabric that is 7" X 14"  (small size) or 9"x18" (Medium size) or 11"x22" (large size).  Or basically you can cut whatever size you want you just double the length of whatever your width is.
October 2010 296
I will be showing you the small size.  (Since that is what I was making.)
October 2010 298
Here are all of mine ready to go. 
October 2010 303
Next, you are going to make a tube.  So, I had my cute little helper fold all of the pieces together for me. 
October 2010 307
Make sure right sides are together. 
October 2010 308
Then with your sewing machine sew down the side.  This will create your tube. 
October 2010 309
Press open the seem.  (If you are obsessive like me.)
October 2010 310
Then grab your needle and thread (I double my thread to make it stronger), and gather all along the bottom of of the tube. 
October 2010 311
It should look like this when you are done.  Tie off the end. 
October 2010 314
Turn the fabric right side out.  This is what your bottom should look like. 
October 2010 318
Fill it up with fiber fill.  You want them to be really full of fiber fill.  They look much better if they are stuffed really good.  More is better.  Trust me. 
October 2010 321
Then grab your needle and thread again and gather the top.  This time you don't want it quite as tight.  You are going to put your stem into the top, so you want it a little loser. 
October 2010 324
Next get your crochet thread.  Or you can use regular thread or thing jute or something like that.  I like different crochet thread.  This is what I bought this time.
October 2010 327
In order to know how much crochet thread to use I wrap it around my pumpkin 3 times like this and then add a little extra.  You don't want too little...but you don't want too much.  This has worked for me.
October 2010 334
Thread it onto a big needle.  You need it to have large eye on the needle and to be a long needle.  Put a knot on the end.  Start by going through the top down into the bottom of the pumpkin.  This puts your knot inside the pumpkin.
October 2010 331
See push is through the bottom like this.
October 2010 336
Then you are going bring up back up to the top like this and then down through the pumpkin again.  I do it 5 times.
October 2010 340
It will look like this when you are done.  (This is the top of the pumpkin.) Tie it off on the bottom of the pumpkin.
October 2010 341
Side view.
October 2010 343
To make the stem grab a scrap piece of fabric.  Mine was about 3" x 2 1/2" -"3". 
October 2010 345
Fold the fabric in half (right sides together) and then draw on a stem.  You want it wide enough to be able to stuff it.
October 2010 348
Next sew along the stem drawing.   I don't actually draw on all of mine.  I just eyeball it.  But, if it is easier for you to draw it on all of them go for it.  Do what is easiest for you.
October 2010 351
Trim it down and then turn it right side out.  This is how I do it.
October 2010 352
It should look similar to this when you are done.
October 2010 355
Next, stuff it with the fiber fill.
October 2010 359
Then sew the bottom shut.  You can do this on your machine (like I did) or by hand.  It is up to you.
October 2010 365
It doesn't have to be pretty.  It is just keeping the stuffing inside.
October 2010 369
Grab your hot glue gun and glue (make sure it is warmed up) and put some glue on the bottom of the stem.
October 2010 372
Then stuff it down into the pumpkin.
October 2010 373
Aren't they all so cute?  Oh, I just love them.  Pumpkin Happiness.
October 2010 394
Then lastly grab some raffia and tie on a bow. 

Have fun making them!  Happy Fall my Friends.
I will be linking this to some of THESE link parties


Alison@Oopsey Daisy said...

Tasha, these are DARLING!! :) I love them.

Lolly Jane said...

so cute. geez you made a LOT of them. send 2 to me and save me the work! ;) heehee!


Constance said...

So CUTE!!!

Kara said...

I just did a tutorial very similar to this one. Great minds must think alike. :) They really are super easy and oh so cute. I love how you sewed the stems for yours. Darling!

Stephanie said...

What a great tutorial you posted. I think even I could make some of these. I just pinned them on Pinterest. Saw your link on 36th Ave link party

Confessions of a Stay at Home Mommy said...

Adorable!! I would love it if you would link this up to my Pumpkin Addicts Anonymous link party going on now:
I hope to see you soon!

DeeDee said...

Oh my gosh, these are adorable! Thanks for sharing! :) I've just pinned you!

Gallamore West said...

These are so, so cute!! I just saw them featured on tatertots & jello's 22 Pumpkin Ideas... wahoo!! My pumpkin cupcakes with salted caramel buttercream are there too!! Yay for Fall and pumpkins! I'm your newest follower!
Laurie @ Gallamore West :)

kaliwoda said...

thanks for this tuto, it might be very easy.
I hope I can try as soon as possible, because I love pumpkins...
have a good day, ;-)

Lindy@Itsy Bitsy Paper said...

Love! I would be thrilled if you linked up to my Wickedly Creative Halloween Ideas Party.

Stephanie said...

These are super duper cute! I love how simple it is to make them. Thanks for sharing the tut!

Amy at Ameroonie Designs said...

Very, very cute! I really like them and how full and plump they are.
Thanks for linking up to Point of View!

Gwen @ Gwenny Penny said...

These are super cute! I love the raffia... makes the whole thing. Thanks for linking up to Point of View :)

Jonie Marie said...

I love LOVE these! I featured you over on my blog. Feel free to stop by and grab a button and thanks for linking up to POV. I hope you'll join us next month as well!


Lindsay said...

I love these! I can't wait to make some! I bet you could also put some beans in them to give them heavier bottoms! :)

Lolly Jane said...

hey tasha i swear i didn't rig this, you're among the top clicked links from last week's party, whoohoo. we'll be featuring them all weekend long (:

so cute, love them! xoxo

Rona Gregory said...

Thank you for sharing this, these are so cute I love them! I saw a tutorial for pumpkins the other day somewhere but got put off cos it involved 8 panels of fabric and a lot of sewing and clipping haha! These are so simple and effective even I have the skills and time to make them! Fab!!

Meagan at Fairly Fabulous Blog dot com said...

Super cute, Tasha! Thanks for sharing your tutorial. I may actually make a few this year now. ;)

Christina at I Gotta Create! said...

Oh these are so SWEET!! I'd be thrilled if you came and shared these at my halloween link party at

Kelly said...

Tasha - thank you for this tutorial. I just made 4 pumpkins for a baby shower I'm hosting and you covered every step I needed!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...