Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Strawberry Lemonade Smoothie

Is anyone else trying to find lots of ways to stay cool this summer?  I have to say smoothies are one of my favorites ways!  These Strawberry Lemonade Smoothies are so yummy.  And refreshing.  Mmmm...
A friend gave my husband a large bag full of fresh lemons from off their tree.  Whenever we get lemons from friends we put them right to use.  My two favorite things to make with them: Lemon Bars and Strawberry Lemonade Smoothies.  Since turning on the oven is not what I wanted to do I set out for the smoothie. 
I put my boys to use doing all the juicing.  They love getting to do this.  It is generally a fight to who gets to do how many.  We had to make a "you do two then I do two" arrangement.  They were in heaven.  When the juicing was done I set aside a certain amount for my lemonade base and then bagged up the rest of the juice in 1/2 cup increments and froze them.  Then I can use it later when I want those yummy lemon bars. 

Lemonade Base
2 1/2 cups water
1 1/4 cups sugar
1/2 teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel
1 1/4 cups lemon juice
In a medium saucepan heat and stir water and sugar over medium heat until sugar is dissolved.  Remove from heat.  Let it cool for 20 minutes.  Add lemon juice and lemon peel to sugar mixture.  Pour into a jar; cover and chill up to 3 days.  For each glass of lemonade combine equal parts base and water in ice-filled glasses.  Stir it all together.
Strawberry Lemonade Smoothies
2 cups frozen strawberries
1 1/3 cups lemonade base
4 Tablespoons sugar.
In a blender container combine frozen strawberries, lemonade base, and sugar.  Blend until smooth.  If needed add a few ice cubes.  Or if it is too thick add a little water.  Poor into glasses and enjoy!!

Mmmm....they are so delicious!  Happy Summer!


chris said...

This looks SO good! Thanks for sharing.

Steph @ Crafting in the Rain said...

Looks great! And I just froze a bagful of strawberries after picking 10 pounds at a U-pick farm (and after 4 batches of jam)

Gwen @ Gwenny Penny said...

Ooo, this looks fabulous, Tasha! Great food photos.

Larissa said...

UM...YUMMMMM. This totally is a must. Looks so refreshing for a super hot day.

Letti said...

When we have lemons again I am going to make this.

stanford said...

Oh I'm totally going to make this smoothie. I've made lemon bars the last two days and love his smoothie idea. Your boys are way too cute with those lemons!!! -Sara

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...