Monday, May 9, 2011

Zipper Pouch Tutorial

This week is Teacher Appreciation Week at my son's school.  I hope to share all week long some of the things I plan to do for my son's teacher.  I like to give something small to the teacher every day of the week.  They are generally not huge gifts, but little reminders and notes to let the teacher know that they are appreciated and I am thankful for every day they come to class and help my child learn more.  Today, I am sharing a tutorial I guest posted at My Junk Drawer during the Celebrating Mother's Week.  It is something I feel is also a great teacher's gift.  

I happen to be someone who likes lots of little zipper pouches in my purse.  One holds my wallet and receipts.  One holds lip gloss, chapstick, sunscreen, etc.  One has my measuring tape (you never know when you need actually comes in handy lots), pens, and paper.  See, lots of uses for little zipper pouches.  Plus, then my purse stays much cleaner too!
Do you want to make one too? Lets get started

You can make these any size you would like.  I used a 6inch zipper, so my measurements go with that...but really, you can do them ANY size.

Items you will need:
fabric (two different patterns/colors. I used scraps of fabric...but it will depend on what size you are making)
sewing machine and thread (Zipper foot)
Iron and ironing board
Cut out 2 rectangles of outer fabric (mine were 6 1/2" by 7 1/2"...the red polkadot) and 2 rectangles of lining fabric (mine were 6 1/2" by 7 1/2"...the teal fabric).  One strip that is 3" by double of the length of your rectangles.  (Mine was 3" by 15")
We are going to start with the ruffle.  Grab your long piece first.  (The strip that is 3" by double the length of your rectangles.)  Iron to make sure it is nice and flat.
Fold it in half with right sides facing inward.  Iron down flat. 
Sew along the open end. 
Grab your turning tool. (I love this tool!!) and turn your tube right side out.
Iron it flat.  You want to turn it so the seam is in the middle of the back.  The front is flat and no seams.
Now, you will start making the gathered up ruffle.  I start it before I set it down to pin.  You just fold the fabric up little bits at at time.
Then pin it down the best you can.  This does not pin down easily.  I kind of hold it in place as a best I can and then do not worry.  You can kind of fix it as you sew it down as well.
Sew it down.  I like to sew going down the ruffle if that makes sense.  So it sews on easily.  See how I hold it in place as I sew.  You are going to do two rows of stitches so you do not want to center your first row.  You want to center the two rows.
Sew the second row. 
It should look something like this when you are done.  Your ruffle is not suppose to be perfect.  That is the fun of it.
Grab one of your lining rectangles, the ruffled piece, and your zipper.  You are going to make a sandwich like this.  The right sides of your fabrics will face inward.  Pin them together.
Put your zipper foot on your sewing machine.  Sew down the one pinned side of your fabrics along the zipper.
When you are done it looks like this.  See how only half of your zipper has been sewn down.  This is just one side.  Now we are going to do the same thing to the other side of the zipper.
When you are done pull your fabrics together on one side like this.  Iron them down flat. 
Now make a sandwich like before on this side of the zipper.  Make sure your outer fabrics are one side and the lining fabric are on the other.  It should look something like this.  Pin it together and then sew it down just like we did for the other side.
When you are done open it up and it should look something like this. 
Top stitch down both sides of the zipper now.
It will look like this when you are done.
Now, bring both sides of the outer fabric to one side and both pieces of the lining fabric to one side.  Make sure you unzip the zipper inside.  You don't have to do it all the way, but at least half way unzipped.  Otherwise once we sew around this big rectangle you will not be able to turn it.  (I forgot with this one and it was not easy to get the zipper undone....opps)  Pin it together.  Match the sides as best you can.  Make sure the zipper teeth are pinned down towards the lining fabric.
Sew all the way around leaving at least a 3-4 inch whole at the bottom of the lining fabric.  Clip the corners when you are done sewing.
Turn it right side out.  I like to use a pointy tool to get all the corners nice and turned out too. 
When you have it all turned out zip it up and iron it flat.  It should look something like this. 
A beautiful cute zipper pouch!  It makes life more efficient and organzied and is super cute too!.  Both happy things.


Letti said...

I think I am going to try to make one of these. I have never attempted to sew a zipper so this will be a first.

Sandy said...

Wonderful tutorial... and I love the turning tool...where did you get it??

Juli said...

So cute!! I love the different fabrics you used too! Love it!

annzwick said...

What a great project. I love the tutorial, very good!! Your fabric combination is awesome.

Maridith @ Strictly Homemade said...

Cute, Cute. Love your fabric choice and I like you LOVE zipper bags. Thanks for the tutorial! BTW- your pictures always turn out beautiful...what is your secret???

Fiona said...

Oh, I love these cute pouches! Thanks for sharing your tutorial - I will definitely give it a try!

Karen said...

Love the colors you used! Such a great gift idea. Your blog is adorable:)

M said...

That is a great teacher gift. Love the ruffle on it. Thanks for sharing!

Melanie said...

Found you via Skip to my Lou. I want to So adorable! make this!!! Love your colors and fabric choices too. Thanks for sharing the tutorial.

Courtney O'Dell said...

So beautiful!

I featured this in my new Tuesday's Treasures post at:

Come check it out!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...