Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Stars

This last weekend I was faced with planning a funeral luncheon.  To some this maybe doesn't sound like a big deal, but, to me I was a little panicked.  In my church when someone dies the women's organization (The Relief Society) puts on a luncheon for the family and friends of the person who passed away.  It is a pretty big undertaking.  Planning the menu, getting people to sign up to bring a lot of the food, buying the rest of the food, making table centerpieces....I am sure you get the picture.  We joke it is like putting on a wedding reception except in only a few days.  Like 3 days this time.   Normally, it would fall onto the Relief Society Presidency to plan and carry it out.  (That would be 4 women: A president, 2 counselors, and a secretary.)  Of course this last weekend everyone was out of town except for me.(I am the second counselor)  When I got the phone call of our Stake Patriarch passing I nearly panicked.  Deep breaths.  I kept thinking of this beautiful sign that Kiki Creates made and shared with all of us:
I chanted it to myself all weekend long.  And I just kept doing.  I feel so grateful for all the women who stepped up and helped me make phone calls, brought so much food, and helped me set up, serve, and take down.  I could have never done it alone.  And really, that is the beauty of our church.  The women always step in and help.  For table centerpieces I used vases filled with white carnations, some greenery and I made these cute red and blue stars that I stuck in.  (The Patriarch was a very patriotic man.  The family had asked the luncheon be themed around red, white, and blue.)
They turned out so cute.  I saw many family members taking the stars out and taking home as keep sakes.  I loved that too.  It is nice to know something you made helped to make another feel a little special during a hard time. 

9 comments:

Letti said...

What a clever idea. I heard that it was beautiful. I am so happy you received so much help. You always do things with a smile and I love that about you!

Chris said...

Of course you can do it! I'm not surprised one bit. The felt stars were a great idea. Well done.

Steph @ Crafting in the Rain said...

Wow, good work. I'm in the same position, so I hope that doesn't happen to me! :)

kristen said...

You are amazing Tasha!

Freja said...

I think you did well - a nice gesture for such an event. Good job :)

Jill said...

I was thinking about you all day on Monday. Glad it turned out. You have such talent!

joyous said...

I love that you kept it simple. I'm sure it looked beautiful. :)

Carly said...

The felt stars are DARLING. I'm so glad it all worked out! I was thinking about you all day MOnday!

Keriann said...

You really did a great job "pretending" lol I think you can write 3 day funeral luncheons or your list of "no need to pretend" activities! It was a fun day with you despite the circumstances. I know the family truly appreciated everything you did!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...