Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Spring Fever with The Silly Pearl

I first met Steph, from The Silly Pearl, through my Friday Link Parties. (I told you I love your link ups!) Multiple times her link ups sent me over to her family blog, Silly Precious Piggies, where I learned to love her projects and her cute family.  When she announced she was starting a craft blog called The Silly Pearl I was thrilled.  She has created some fabulous things.  Here are my two favorites:
 Roll-up Totes
Her patchwork pocket totes.
I am excited for all of you to get to know Steph through her tutorial today.
Make sure you go over and visit her new craft blog The Silly Pearl

It’s such an honor to be posting on Creation Corner! Thank you so much Tasha for having me here today.

My name is Steph and I am from the San Francisco Bay Area. I have a craft blog called The Silly Pearl, where I write about the crafts I make in between being marriage and twin mamahood. Sophie and Sarah will be four years old in just a few days! I became a stay-at-home mama about a year ago, and since the girls have gotten older I’ve been able to start crafting again after a break after they were born.

Today I’m sharing how I made this Springtime Birthday Banner! When I think of Spring, I always think of fresh flowers. I needed a birthday banner so I decided to combine the two!

I was inspired by a banner made by Sisters of the Wild West so I set out to find some letters. I could not find chipboard letters in the right size, and I couldn’t find a good deal on wooden ones. So while wandering around the craft store, I saw a bunch of ladies rummaging through a 10-cent bin. So of course I had to check it out too, right? And I found a bunch of chipboard coasters for 10 cents a pack. I even had an extra 25% off coupon! The coasters are 4x4 inches.
I drew on some letters on the white side of the coasters free-hand, and used a craft knife to cut them out. It didn’t take too long, to my surprise. I did struggle at first with cutting out the middle part of the letters, but I got the hang of it after a while. I also made sure they were all the same size as the previous letters I cut. The resulting letters are about 3.5 inches tall.
Then using my cut letters, I traced them onto scrapbook paper and cut them out. After that, I mod podged the paper onto the coaster letters.
I used mini clothespins to hang them from some twine.
I made some origami pouches to hold the flowers. Cut a 6x6 inch square of scrapbook paper. Then cut a corner of scrapbook paper and tape that onto the wrong side of the square at one corner. This will be the front flap of the pouch. That part isn’t necessary if you don’t mind the back of the paper showing, or if you have two-sided paper.
Making sure the flap with the paper-covered corner is at the top, fold the square into a triangle.
Then take one corner and fold it up to the opposite side of the triangle, so it forms a horizontal line. Then do the same with the other corner.
Fold the flaps down on either side to secure the whole pouch. You’ll see the corner you covered with scrapbook paper as you fold it over. You can further secure the pouch with a little bit of tape.
Cut the flowers so they will fit into the pouch. I used about 5 green mums. Then I wrapped the stems in a wet piece of paper towel (about a 1/4 square of a paper towel), and then wrapped that in a small piece of plastic wrap. I made 11 of these to go between each letter. You can do this the night before, especially with long-lasting flowers like green mums.
But before you insert the flowers, punch a hole through the flaps on both sides for a hanging ribbon. Then insert the flowers and tie to the twine, in between the letters.
Repeat with the rest of the pouches, and you’re done!

I also made this party blower wreath for their birthday. And come on over to my blog The Silly Pearl for even more tutorials for kids and for you.
Happy Spring, and Happy Birthday to my girls!
Thanks again Tasha for letting me hang out on your blog today!


joyous said...

Very cute! I love the flowers on the banner, a fresh new twist on an old theme. :) Thanks for sharing.

kristen said...

This is way cute!

The BabbyMama said...

Amazing! I love the colors/patterns you chose. I suddenly feel like my bunting banners I made for my baby's birthday were quite silly in comparison!

Carrie said...

so colorful, cheerful and cute!!

Hani@Craftionary said...

awww I have this collection of papers from Michaels too.. love all the patterns.. I like the bunting it came out soo well..
A very happy birthday to your girl..

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...