Sunday, February 13, 2011

Valentine's Day Headband Tutorial

I know I shared this over at Strictly Homemade this last week...but I thought I would post the tutorial here as well.  If you still need something for your daughter to wear here is a fun idea...
Here is what you will need:
Fabric (It is only going to be about 1-2 inches wide but about 44-45 inches long.)
Scissors
Needle and thread
Hot glue gun and hot glue stick
Iron and ironing board
Small pieces of felt
Headband

First you will grab you fabric and scissors.  Mine was quarter of a yard of this fabulous red and white polka dot fabric called bliss. 
You are going to make a cut that is about 1 to 1 1/2 inches wide.  I just eye ball it. 
Then you are going to tear the fabric.  You want to do this along the long edge.  In the end you want the torn piece to be about 45 inches long.
 Once it is all torn you will iron it out flat.
 Grab your needle and thread and start gathering the strip of fabric.
It should look like this when you are done.  Tie off the thread at the end of your gather.  You do not want it tightly gathered, but more loosely.
 Then you will take the gathered strip and make it into a circle like this.  Making the fabric overlap each other. Your outer layer should be larger then your inner.  You are going to wined it in.
 Cut out a circle of felt that will fit under your fabric circle.  Put hot glue on it.
 Place the circle you made onto the felt circle.  Use more hot glue to make sure the whole circle is glued down.
 The back should look something like this when you are done.
Grab a few more scraps of felt and cut out two hearts.  I folded my felt in half to make my hearts. I made the white heart a little larger then the red one.
They were about this size when I was done.  I glue them lightly together.  Then I added a button on top for extra decoration.
Get your headband.  Put it on your head and find the best place for the circle of fabric you are going to glue onto it.  You will be sorry if you do not look first to pick where you want it.  I like mine more to the side.  Then put hot glue where you want the fabric piece to go.
After the fabric piece is glued on a take another small piece of felt and glue that on also. It helps to hold the fabric piece to the headband.
And now you have a cute Valentine's Day headband to wear.

11 comments:

Karen said...

That is adorable. Love the fabric and cute little felt hearts!!

Rissa @ Hazel and Honeysuckle said...

Very sweet! Happy Valentines!

Humble Homemaker said...

I really love this. It is adorable!

I think your blog is awesome so I nominated you for the Stylish Blogger Award! Head on over to the link below to collect your award button. Have a great day! :)

http://humblehomemaking.blogspot.com/2011/02/awards.html

Brian said...

Valentine's Day is Tasha's favorite holiday. Make sure you wish her a Happy Valentine's day.

Tasha, I love that you love crafts and love that you enjoy sharing your talents with others. You are a truly incredible wife. I love you!

Lorena said...

This is a great tutorial!! thanks

Tammy @ she wears flowers said...

This is so adorable!!

Hannah S. said...

I LOVE IT! SOOOO cute! The fabric is great too! Great job! ~ Hannah at www.madebyhannahshands.blogspot.com

Rachel said...

HI stopping by what wonderful ideas my favorite so far is the heart headband...Very talented...
Sincerely Rachel ♥

http://www.ourcreativehands.com
http://ourcreativehands.blogspot.com
http://www.facebook.com/ourcreativehands

creativejewishmom/sara said...

Adorable, and great tutorial! Thanks so much for sharing this and the fabric flowers on Craft Schooling Sunday, it looks like you've earned yourself a place in the features!
all the best!

Anonymous said...

so cute! thanks posting! pinned on http://pinterest.com/.

GKJ said...

This is so pretty, thanks for sharing! Do you mind if I link this tutorial on my blog (littlebobbin.blogspot.com)? I made a fabric flower like this to add onto a sun hat and I'd like to blog about it and give you credit for the flower :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...