Saturday, February 19, 2011

Oompa Lumpa Costume

I helped my friend Letti this last week with 10 of these Oompa Lumpa Costumes.  (Is that how you spell Oompa Lumpa??? I seriously am not sure.)  They are for the Willy Wonka production our Elementary School is putting on this year.  I know you hear "Elementary School Play" and think small...but this is a huge production.  It is performed at the High School Theatre and anyone in the area can try out for it.  They just pull a large number of the kids from our school since we are the ones putting it on.  Last year the production was Aladdin and it was amazing.  AMAZING.   
 Letti was not in charge of making all of these Oompa Lumpa costumes...but in charge of all the velcroing parts.  There are I believe 50 Oompa Lumpa's.  (Is that right Letti?)  Either way, there are a lot of them.  That means a lot of costumes. 
The costumes are made out of white vinyl table clothes.  I thought this was such a clever idea.  Not fun to sew on at ALL, but very clever.  It holds the look they want and when the kids get sprayed orange if any of it gets onto the costume (like you know it will) they can just wipe it right off.  Genius. 
Letti's cute girls in their costumes for the Willy Wonka Production

I have to say after doing 10 of these I do not know how Letti and her Mom did the others.  It was a lot of work.  But, aren't they so cute?  Fun fun fun.  We cannot wait to go to the play ourselves!  And if anyone wants to have their kids dress up as an Oompa Lumpa this year for Halloween...this is a great way to make one.

6 comments:

Kevin, Holly, Kari and Bryce said...

Would you or Letti be willing to share the pattern? Looks like an awesome Halloween costume idea.

Jaime said...

You are such a good friend! And how great that the kids have an opportunity to be in a big play. Love it!

Anonymous said...

I think it's spelled Oompa Loompa!

Tasha said...

Thanks :)

I do not have a pattern and I am not sure which one the other lady used before giving them to Letti. If I am able to find out I will let you know. Otherwise I think you could just take a pair of pants for your child and kind of design one yourself using your child's pants. They are made from a white vinyl tablecloth. None of the edges are finished because they do not need to be. The straps are cut from the vinyl too. They will cross in the front and the back.

Letti said...

The pattern was created using pajama bottoms and then we added the bump on the side. We also created the buttons by cutting a dowel several times, drilling, and then painting.

Tasha thanks for your help. You really helped us get through the hardest part.

Jennifer said...

Oh! This is really very funny and nice.I really like this costume
very much.Especially kids likes this kind of costumes very much because they really likes the colors very much.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...