Thursday, February 10, 2011

Kid Crayon Valentine's

For Valentine's Day this year I thought it would be fun for my boys to make homemade Crayons to give to their friends.  I got the idea from my sister who recently made them and she got it from here.  It sounded fun.
 First you take crayons and peel off the paper and then break them into pieces.  This can take a little while. 
Put a pile of the broken crayons into a muffin pan.  I used a mini muffin pan but you could really use any size.  I really wanted to find a heart muffin pan, but for some reason none of my stores carried one.  I liked mixing a lot of colors together.  They seems to turn out better then when I only used one or two colors.
Stick the filled muffin tin into a 275 degree preheated oven for 10-12 minutes.  Then take them out and let them cool on the counter for a few minutes and finally stick the into the refridgertor for 10 minutes.  Once they are completely cool turn the muffin tin over and they will pop out.
 When you pop them out they will look something like this!  So fun.
I then made this sign to add to my Valentine's.  I left a space at the bottom for my boys to sign them.  Unfortunately, when I went to print I was running out of my red color in my ink cartridge so they are more blue and green tones.  But, I decided it is okay since I have all boys who are giving these away. 
I put them into little baggies, staples the signs on top, and we were done!  Pretty cute and a fun little gift to kids.

6 comments:

Letti said...

Very cute! We used to make these with my grandma. When she used to teach she would end up with lots of broken crayons and this is what she would do with them. To bad you didn't find a heart pan. I still think they turned out perfect.

kpmattingly said...

We are doing this too! :) Heart Shaped crayons and hopefully some letters too!

kristen said...

awesome!

Aimee K. said...

My sister made these before . . . cute idea to use them as valentine's!

Jess said...

those are adorable!

Amalia said...

nice idea! I have loads of broken crayons in my classroom, maybe I should give it a try :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...