Monday, February 7, 2011

Blessing Dress

Yesterday, was my niece's baby blessing.  I was lucky enough to travel with my family to Utah to be there for it.  I couldn't help but take pictures of the gorgeous dress my mother made for her and share them with you.  Isn't the dress breath taking?  My mother is one of the most beautiful seamstresses I have ever met.  She has done a lot of heirloom sewing.  She is a perfectionist when is comes to her sewing and so everything is simply gorgeous and very detail oriented.
 Look how even the sleeve has so much detail.  She buys the best quality too.
My mother also smocks. She designed this smocking pattern herself.  It is named "Ginny Ruth" after my niece whom she was making this for.  Some day I am going to get better at smocking.  She has taught me, but with boys it hasn't come in handy as often as I think it would have with little girls.  Maybe I should just learn and sew for my nieces.
Look at the bottom of the dress.  Sigh.  Oh, how I simply adore the bottom of the dress.  Can you see there is a handmade slip underneath too?  I never took a picture of it...but I can promise it was simple yet darling too. 
Here is Miss Ginny Ruth wearing her beautiful gown in her mother's arms.  I got to hold Ginny all weekend long.  I miss her already.  Oh, she is a cutie.  It was a wonderful weekend of family (all my siblings were there with their families), cold, my boys playing in small pockets of snow...and the best part...seeing this beautiful niece being blessed by her father surrounded by worthy grandfathers and uncles who hold the priesthood.  It was a special weekend.

13 comments:

Keriann said...

That is beautiful!!

kristen said...

Man, your mom is amazing!

Chris said...

Gorgeous. Now I see where you get your talent!

Mariesa M. said...

The smocking on that is absolutly gorgeous!! I made my two little girls blessing dresses - but wow - that one is amazing!
-Mariesa
http://tencowchick.com

sara said...

What beautiful pictures you took of the dress! We took more of Ginny in it today too so hopefully Stanford will post those quickly!!

Ashly@Moon Walk said...

The dress is beautiful. I would be going picture crazy as well.

Carly said...

I am as in love with it as you are. I didn't realize (or wasn't told!) that mom designed the smocking. I thought it was the same pattern as Paige's dress!! That makes it even more precious to me!


Thank you for taking such beautiful pictures.

Brook said...

Gorgeous!! Our daughter's baptism dress is similar and smocked but we had to buy it. Even better that it has the sentimental value of being made by someone that loves her! LOVE! Beautiful baby too.

Julie said...

This is amazing! Such a beautiful dress for such a beautiful baby!

Anonymous said...

Your mom sent me your link, and I was so impressed with the beautiful photos and description of that exquisite blessing gown for Ginny Ruth. I especially appreciated the comments you made about your mother. As I read them, I thought about how much I love my friend, and how glad I am she has you for a daughter, and all the rest of your great siblings. Your blog is so neat!
Love and hugs, Chris King

shel said...

wow! the blessing dress is stunning! she is one lucky little lady :) congrats!

shel said...

wow! the blessing dress is stunning! she is one lucky little lady :) congrats!

amy smart said...

This is incredible! What a work of art and an heirloom for sure. I hope you had fun in Utah. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...