Monday, January 3, 2011

Machine Quilted Quilt...I did it!

 Do you ever complete a project and just want to get up and do a happy dance or something?  That is how I felt about this quilt.  Not the fact of sewing the quilt together.  You can see it is a simple charm pack sewn together with a white boarder.  (Although, seriously it took me over an hour and two days to decide where to place each square.  I have issues.)  But, I machine quilted it.  Yep, that is right...my first time machine quilting!!  (Do not look too close either.)

I have been wanting to try machine quilting for a long time.  After Alison over at Cluck Cluck Sew put together her pdf instructions on how she machine quilts I got a little braver.  I read and reread her directions. I bought the foot my sewing machine would need.  Then I chickened out.  Over and over again. 

But this last week I got brave.  Sucked it up.  And did it!!  It is by far NOT perfect.  At all.  Lots and lots of mistakes.  But, it still turned out beautiful. In fact, I was in love with it.  My sister (who I gave it to...well, to her new little daughter) is the one I usually call when I accomplish something like this.  But, this time I couldn't.  Instead, I just had to sit and think "I did it!!  I did it!!"  Happiness. 
My cute little niece (who is only 4 weeks old) got it for Christmas.  It was my first time meeting her.  Can I just tell you I am in love with her.  I held her as much as I possible could for the 4 days I was with her.  She was wrapped in this quilt almost the whole time too.  Now she is gone.  But, at least she gets to be snuggled in a quilt by her Aunt Tasha. 

The fabric is the Bliss.  I love this whole line of fabric.  It was perfect for my niece too. My sister loves red.  She looks so good in light green and so those to colors are ones I think of her with.  Then I love pink for baby girls  and blues are our family color...so it is a mix of colors of my sister and I.  Plus, I am pretty big red fan too.  So, little Ginny is going to be wrapped in lots of love. 

19 comments:

LeAnne said...

Loving your quilt it looks beautiful! (Along with the sweet little baby!) I love, love, love Bliss. I made my daughter's quilt out of it. I also bought a stash of it, I just need to be brave and cut into the yardage and make a quilt for me!

Marlene said...

Your quilt is beautiful! Thanks for sharing the tutorial on machine quilting. Step by step almost makes it seem do-able! Someday....maybe.... :-)

emilyc @ Sew Super Sweet said...

LOVE! What a wonderful gift!!!

Katie @ EyeSpyDIY said...

How beautiful! You did such a great job and what a great choice of colors!

Bethany said...

I've been chickening out for over 2 years--maybe I'll give it a try because that sure is pretty!!

kristen said...

it turned out gorgeous! GO you!

Kris said...

GREAT job. Just keep doing your own small projects. Table runners, wall hangings, and the more you practice, the better you will get. Isn't it fun!!

Julie said...

Tasha this looks awesome! Good job! My goal for 2011 is to make a quilt so you have inspired me to start sooner rather than later! I love those fabrics too. And your niece is pretty darn cute too!

Letti said...

Its beautiful. You are so talented with everything you do. What a tresure you gave Ginny.

Jenn said...

I'm just popping over from Moon Walk, and wow! This quilt is amazing! I love the colors. It's funny to read that you're nervous to machine quilt, because I've only ever machine quilted. I think hand quilting is the scariest thing EVER! :)

Ashly@Moon Walk said...

How beautiful! I can't believe how great it looks. I especially love the colors!

Chris said...

Well done! I would love to try machine quilting too...but I know I need a walking foot, and will have to wait until I can afford one. Happy New Year!

classic • casual • home said...

Such a sweet gift for your niece... I am sure she will cherish it for life!
Mary Ann

Danae said...

I know exactly what you mean, its an exciting accomplishment! I'm still getting the hang of free motion quilting thing, but its so liberating and just plain fun to do. Have fun!

Farah Muzaffar said...

Tasha it looks great... I am very fond of quilt and patchwork but still not try... your looks perfect... its great
Happy New Year
Hope you would like to spare a little bit of your time for me sure you will enjoy
http://craftaworld.blogspot.com/
Love
Farah

Carly said...

you did it! You did it!! And I LOVE IT!! Wow. Can I just say that one more time: I LOVE IT. I purposefully have it laying across the back of my rocking chair when not being used so I can look and look at it. It is perfect.

Just Julie said...

I have always been so scared to try this on my own... Maybe this is the year. It looks wonderful!

Mormishmom said...

It's gorgeous! Your sis is one lucky chick :)

Mique (as in Mickey) said...

Tasha-
This is soooooo beautiful.
Your niece is one lucky girl.
Thanks for linking it to my Pity party too!
xo,
Mique

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...