Wednesday, January 5, 2011

150+ Bean Bags

Last year for Christmas my sister Carly made these fabulous bean bags for my boys. I shared them with all of you here. I was in shock when my boys opened them. To think of the hours she must have spent making them all. There were over 90 bean bags between the two.

 When my older sister saw what my boys got she too loved them.  Her little girl was not yet 1 so understood why she did not get a set.  Yet, you could tell she really did want some.  I started looking for the fabric.  I even sent Carly out to her quilt store to see if they still had it.  Sold out.  Gone.  I couldn't find it anywhere.  It was out of print.  Then by luck this summer I found it on ebay.  The same exact red ones.  I bought a panel.  I knew I wanted to make them for my niece Maggie.  Carly kept talking about how she was determined to make a set for her son Raymond still too.  As she neared her delivery date and no bean bags had been made I decided she needed a set from Aunt Tasha as well.  So, I went back to ebay and lucky enough they were still there.  Another panel was purchased. (This was late November.)  By, December I got started.  
 I cut out over 200 little tiny squares 3"x3" in all different colors.  These are the backs of the bean bags.
 I cut out all the letters. Well over 200 letters.  They are 3"x3" as well.  Luckily the panel has nice straight lines so you just cut cut cut.
Then I began sewing them together.  Sewing and sewing and sewing and sewing.  I seriously thought I would never stop sewing them.  I am not one to have patience normally on projects like this.  But, I just kept thinking about my cute niece and nephew and there Mom's surprised faces.

Then I turned and turned and turned those bean bags.  And finally I filled and filled and filled them with those teeny tiny openings full of rice.  Lots and lots of rice.  Then I hand stitched them all closed.  And finally after days and days of this process I made cute (darling really) draw string bags to put them in.  And then guess what...I didn't take ANY pictures!!  Seriously.  Not one.  I could just kick myself.  But, you can see my cute ones from my sister above.  Mine are pretty similar.  There are 1 upper case and 1 lower case of each letter.  Plus lots of multiples of other letters.  Each set had at least 80 bean bags.  And the best part... My sisters were thrilled.  Carly said she almost cried.  Nothing better then that.  I like to call these bean bags a labor of love.  I don't know if I would ever do it again...but I am more then glad I did do it this Christmas!
My boys love their bean bags and I know Maggie and Raymond are going to love theirs as well. If you want to see all the games you can play with them go here.

18 comments:

Becky said...

Those are fabulous! Love the addition of the alphabet on them.

kristen said...

I have been considering making some. I love them. You are an awesome aunt. :)

Ashly@Moon Walk said...

super cute gift!

Carly said...

I got all choked up precicely because I KNEW how much work they were. And how much I wanted them... such a gift of love. I can't even begin to tell you how much I love them. Raymond asked to play with them all the time (but I won't yet let him without me because I don't want to lose them!). We LOVE THEM. And we love you! You are such a wonderful aunt and sister.

Letti said...

I love homemade gifts. They have a lot of loved attached to them. You are such a great Aunt.

Lelan @ Good Gravy! said...

What a WONDERFUL homemade gift! Best. Crafter. Evvverrr.

Hayley said...

That is so sweet. My Nanny (grandmother) once sewed my sister and I checkers for our black and white vinyl floor when we were kids. I still have them and will cherish them always.

Mormishmom said...

You are awesome - those are a labor of love.

Sarah said...

Holy smokes that is amazing. How you had the patience to hand stitch every single one closed I will never know. I had to do maybe about 20 holes closed by hand for my Godson's Christmas present, which I did spread across several weeks, and I was still cringing from it.

Mandy Coffey said...

So awesome Tasha! Come share these with my Fine Finds Friday link up party!!!

smallfineprint.blogspot.com

Mandy (Griffin) Coffey ;)

Maridith @ Strictly Homemade said...

Wow, you are dedicated!! I would of so given up on the project, but I am sure the end results was wonderful!! Great job. Also, I wanted you to know I linked to your party about the Baby Service Project you helped inspire. Thank you for the post and your help!!

joyous said...

Amazing! You win: best sister!!! The letters really are too cute and make the set. :)

Bonnie said...

Holy Cow that is a TON of bean bags. I'm sure they really did love them. Great idea!

Jen said...

I love those bean bags! What a great idea! Can you tell me what fabric you used? Maybe I can be lucky enough to find it on ebay too.... thanks!

sara said...

I serisouly can't believe how much time you spent on these and that Maggie got a set!!! You should have seen my face when Carly helped Raymond open his. I was like WHAT! NO WAY! And NO FAIR! I was thrilled when Maggie opened hers!!! The first day I went back to work I was talking to STanford and he said, I'd better get going, I've got to clean up musical instruments and bean bags that Maggie has strewn all over the house. I was like, WHAT?! You better find all those bean bags! Me and Maggie have had some fun with them since then. You are a doll!!!!

Jaime said...

You are seriously amazing. I'm tearing up just thinking about it and reading your sister's comments.

Mandy Coffey said...

Hey ya! I'm featuring this one today- because it is SO cute!

Anonymous said...

Amazing!! Thank you so much I would have never thought this up!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...