Friday, November 5, 2010

A Handmade Christmas: Day 5 with Kojo Designs

We're so thrilled to be guesting for Tasha today- we love her blog (and think she's pretty great as well), so of course we were excited to put together a little Handmade Holiday love for her series!
We are Kirstin and Jordan, sisters who blog over at kojodesigns. We’re both stay at home mama’s…
who love to make things. We have slight addictions to pretty paper and fabric, love nothing more than putting together a kickin' party or shower, and both still subscribe to Martha Stewart Weddings even though we've each been married for 7+ years- haha!

We also love Christmas and we LOVE family traditions. One of our favorite holiday traditions is to give each member of our family an ornament each year. I'd highly recommend this tradition- it makes decorating your Christmas tree a nostalgic adventure. Each year, I unwrap a Fimo clay snowflake from our high school years (a nod to Jord's fascination with that stuff), an organza bag stenciled with a silhouette of the three kings and filled with frankincense from when Jord lived in the middleeast, a felt owl from the year I was pregnant with my son Burke and a whole pile of other gems. See- a nostalgic adventure. :)
This year's ornament is a little book with a fabric cover and bound with thread... the front cover of each one highlights the recipient's favorite book or a book that's been meaningful this past year. Even without the ornament tradition, it'd be the perfect gift for the bookworm on your list!

To make a favorite book ornament, you'll need:
-pages from a Goodwill bound (or Goodwill found!) book... I ripped several pages out of the textbooks I used for shelving in Burke's room
-scraps of muslin
-a Sharpie
-12" of ribbon
-sewing machine and thread
1. Cut your book pages into a short wide rectangle. When you stack them and fold them in half, they should look like a mini, coverless book. Cut a rectangle of muslin, slightly larger than your book page rectangles.
2. For the book's cover, you can freehand the title and author onto the muslin. If you don't trust your own handwriting, print out the title and author. Position the printout behind your muslin and trace your template onto the righthand half of your muslin.
3. Double over your ribbon. Stitch the doubled over ribbon onto the back of your folded-in-half, coverless book. This will act as your ornament hanger.
4. Place your mini-book inside your 'cover' with the ribbon sticking out of the top. Stitch up the side to bind all the pieces together.
5. Done! Make a whole batch for your family and friends to decorate their trees with this year!
ps- My husband is in dental school- so he's getting mini 'textbooks' titled, "Oral Surgery," and "Anatomy & Physiology," since his nose is generally buried in a schoolbook. You could take this idea and modify it for any student/grad student in your life as well!

I just love these ladies over at Kojo Designs.  Really.  Truly.  They make me happy.  I love reading their blog and I am always inspired when I go there.  Always.  You should see the parties they put on.  A.m.a.z.i.n.g.  Aren't these ornaments darling?  I too like to make an ornament every year.   I am loving these cute little books.  If you want to see more of their inspiration head over to Kojo Designs.  You won't be disappointed.  At least I never am.

13 comments:

Lelan @ Good Gravy! said...

What a beautiful idea/tradition!

Marlene said...

These are really cute! Another idea for creating the cover and wording is to run the fabric through your printer. I recently used this technique for some simple Teddy bears I made. Here is a link to that part of the project. http://bit.ly/bn8TjU Ok, you've got the gears of my brain on overload thinking of the ways I can use this! ;-)

Chris said...

Such a thoughtful way to personalize an ornament!

Melanie said...

Oral Surgery! I'm busting a gut! Ha ha!

What a clever idea!

Angie @ The Country Chic Cottage said...

Those two are just too freakin awesome!! Yes kojo I am stalking y'all!! :)

★All Thingz Related★ said...

Very cute!

kristen said...

I love love love this cute idea!

Brandi said...

These are super duper cute! :)

Delia said...

You gals are so much fun. I really like this idea. Christmas is full of nostalgia for me too which is why it is my favorite time of year! These books are really memorable!

Dixie Mom said...

Loved these...very clever...

anna said...

What a wonderful idea! Very inspired :)

Jocelyn said...

I love this! Maybe I need to make one for my husband that says "Public Administration." Mine would probably be Tale of Two Cities.

SSBenjamins said...

SO glad I found this blog- I am doing a festival of Tree in Utah in honor of my disabled brother who passed away in 2009- this is awesome and I love the idea, we are doing a kids storybook theme on Audrey Woods' Silly Sally etc. so this will work out great. Thanks

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...