Tuesday, November 2, 2010

A Handmade Christmas: Day 2 with Craftiness Is Not Optional

Hi there!
My name is Jessica (you can call me Jess, cause we're tight like that), and I like lots of things.
I like to blog, over on Craftiness is not Optional.

I like to sew. That's an understatement. If I don't sew on something every day-I get twitchy and grumpy. My favorite things to sew are clothes for my kiddos!  I'm mostly self-taught and love to figure out how things are made. I have two A-dorable daughters, Sadie and Charlotte-and an awesome hubby who puts up with patiently supports my crafting/sewing impulses.

I love to watch TV shows and movies-but most of the time, only while sewing-two birds with one stone and all that. I love making tutorials. I love taking pictures but am only mediocre at it. I loooove chocolate. and french fries. But not together. I love to sing-but only in the car, with only my kids present. I love to pay bills. (not! just making sure you're paying attention!) I love the color teal.

I want to say thanks to Tasha for asking me to participate in her Handmade Christmas series-what a great idea and resource for handmade gift ideas.

Sooo...here is mine!

Need a creative, fun gift...that takes almost NO time to make? Enter this easy fabric silhouette art tutorial!

You'll need:

heat n bond
fabric scraps
pencil for tracing
picture to trace
fabric or hot glue
frame (not shown)

 First, we're going to trace around your image onto the heat n bond. Make sure the image is BACKwards from how you want it to appear when you trace it. There are two sides of the heat n bond-trace onto the papery side. I use a pencil so I don't get ink on my iron.

 Grab your fabric scrap, and lay it right side down...iron flat to get any wrinkles out.

Then place your traced piece papery side up, adhesive side down, and press with your iron on the cotton setting for about 3-4 seconds.

 let it cool off for a minute, then cut it out carefully.

 Now you have your applique!

 Take out the cardboard insert from your frame, and cut out a piece for the background, leaving about 1-2 inches around it.

 Then, center your applique, and iron it down like so, for about 12-15 seconds. (still on the cotton setting)

 Position it using your cardboard insert, then flip over and trim the corners like so.

 Glue down the sides, making sure it's pulled snugly around the front.

 Then glue the other two sides down. Let it dry...

Pop it into your frame, and you've got a fun art piece! This particular one is for my mom's sewing room.

I made this monogram by wrapping the fabric around an old canvas and stapling it to the back. These would also look great in an embroidery hoop!

So many options...and so easily customized for gifts! Thanks for having me Tasha!

Thank you Jess for this fabulous tutorial.  I know I am in love with it.  Make sure you all stop by Jessica's blog and give her a little love.  Her blog is definitely a place to find lots of inspiration and ideas.  Come back tomorrow for another Handmade Christmas tutorial.


Belinda said...

Oooh, I like that VERY much! What a great EASY idea!!!

Black and White {Side by Side} said...

Lovely project!!! I would be happy to give or receive this as a Christmas gift!

★All Thingz Related★ said...

This will be a PERFECT gift for my grandmother! She will love it!

Anna said...

awesome project! looks like you have a great lineup too! :)

Chris said...

What a great idea. Simple and stunning.

Gwen @ Gwenny Penny said...

Love the sewing machine silhouette. I think I need one for the wall above my machine:)

Melanie said...

That is so cute! My sister would love a gift like this.

C.Byrd said...

Such a cute and pretty simple idea!! I can't wait to try my hand at this!! By the way, I'm your newest follower! :)

Brandi said...

That is super cute! :) What a fun easy thing to make! It's definitely got my thinking cap on! :)

Farah Muzaffar said...

Tasha its so cute and creative, what a simple idea that can be adorable by everyone... its really lovely...
I would love if you please spare a little bit of time for me at



Army Wife Quilter said...

i love the sewing machine where did you get the picture i would love to use it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...