Saturday, November 13, 2010

A Handmade Christmas: Day 13 with Oopsey Daisy

Hello, my friends!! I am thrilled to be a guest at Creation Corner today! Thanks, Tasha, for inviting me over to your corner to play. My name is Alison, and I craft in my own little creation corner called Oopsey Daisy. My blog is a collage of projects, including crafts, recipes, and my ideas for teaching Mommy
School to toddlers.  I love to stay busy with creative projects!

I love the idea of a handmade Christmas! It's the only kind of Christmas I know! Growing up, it seemed like we were always delivering Christmas gifts. Piano teachers, soccer coaches, school teachers, friends, neighbors, you name it!  The list of gift recipients was constantly growing.
We were a frugal family... okay, we were cheap! But thank goodness for a crafty mama. She put us to work creating gifts for our own school teachers. I must have been quite young when my Mom first taught me to make these Christmas patchwork ornaments. Each year, we presented our school teachers with our own lil' handmade Christmas gifts... yes, these very patchwork ornaments!

This year, I revisited the idea of patchwork ornaments and experimented with some new twists to this classic idea. Come along with me, and I'll show you how to create a gorgeous gift for those last-minute people popping up on your own gift-giving lists:

For this project, you will need:
* Styrofoam ball
* Lots of Christmas fabric scraps (Ask your friends and family if they have some to
spare!)
* Butter knife
* Scissors
* Ribbon
Cut several pieces of different shapes and sizes from your scraps. There is no exact science here.  Just start cutting, and add different shapes and sizes!  Begin by taking your first fabric scrap and placing it on the styrofoam ball.  Use a butter knife to push the edges of the fabric into the styrofoam ball.  It should be nice and snug!
Continue with your next scrap, pushing it into the same groove as the previous piece.  This creates the "patchwork" pattern.
The trickiest part is that last blank spot on the ornament!  The styrofoam can give out if stressed too much. Be gentle with that last piece in the patchwork puzzle!
Now just add a ribbon loop to hang your ornament by securing it with hot glue.  Simple and sweet!

This year, I decided to try some new things with my Mother's classic idea of the patchwork ornament. I had fun playing around!  I found some clearance end-of-roll fabric scraps at JoAnn's.  Here is what I came up with:
So which one is YOUR favorite? I still love the original, but I must say I adore  that lace!

By the way, if you get too attached to these lovelies and don't feel like giving them away, they make a splendid centerpiece! Last year, I created a whole basket of patchwork ornaments (without the ribbon loops) and threw them on my coffee table.
There is something about these patchwork ornaments that is just so homey.  Enjoy
your own handmade Christmas! I hope you will stop by Oopsey Daisy, and say hello!

Thank you Alison.  I love making Christmas Ornaments.  This is a fun one.  I love all your variations too.  Alison is another one of my favorite people.  I have loved getting to know her through blogging and I simply adore her and her blog.  She has so many great ideas and is constantly inspiring me.  Go check it out her blog HERE.

7 comments:

FreeforAll said...

Hi Great Blog,
Christmas is coming here's some EveryDay Awesome Amazon Daily Deals
Clik Here To Find Awesome Shopping Deals at Amazon

Shan said...

This idea is great! I will incorporate this one in our handmade ornaments this year. It looks like something both kids can do pretty easily. Thanks!

Jessica said...

I love these ornaments, especially the one with patterned fabric. Adorable! I think I'll make some for the annual ornament party my mom, sis, and I throw every year. Thanks for sharing!

Bethany said...

I remember making these in Girl Scouts!!!! I love the idea of a basket of....must..get..to..craft..store.
xo,
Bethany

Elizabeth @ Ucreate with Kids said...

Wow! I love how easy these are to make. They turned out so cute too! I want to start making my own ornaments with my kids that are "kid friendly". Thanks again for the inspiration! And the patterned fabric's my favorite!

Cari Marino said...

I love this idea! I'm new to crafting and this is the perfect "easy" craft for to start on! Thanks :) I can't wait for more Christmas ideas!!! :)

Bruce said...

Thanks for a great Christmas decoration post
Best Christmas Decorations

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...