Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Christmas Books Advent Calendar

November 2010 985
I love advent calendars.  At Christmas time I have lots of them.  I think I have at least 6 or 7 and each year to find some new one I either buy, get as a gift, or make.  Over the next week I am going to share a few of them with you.  Just in case there are others out there like me who love advents at this time of the year...and love to create some new family traditions. 
The Christmas Book Advent I cannot take credit for.  My good friend Letti shared this with me 3 years ago and we have been doing it ever since.  It is actually has become one of my favorite Christmas traditions. 
November 2010 979
How this advent works is you wrap up separately 24 different Christmas Books.  Each night of the month of December you will unwrap one book and read it as a family. We like to do it with the Christmas Tree lights on and all snuggled up after the kids pajamas are on.  My boys love getting to go pick out a wrapped book and have fun getting to unwrap it together.  This year I have numbered the wrapped gifts so the boys will have to find the right number (I figure why not throw a little learning in there also) since my 4 year old is working on his numbers right now. 

To get myself started (since I did not have a budget to go out and buy 24 Christmas books) I went to ebay and bought a set (or 'lot') of 12 used Christmas books.  It only cost me like $10 or so.  Then I went to some thrift stores and bought some more and finally I did have a few of my own and my Mother ended up giving me a couple also.  Not all the books were my favorite or in the best condition.  But since that first year I continue to replace the ones I don't love as much with one or two new ones each year. 
November 2010 981
Since I am numbering my books this year I did things a little differently.  I first put my stack of 24 books in the order I wanted them.  I have a mix of different types of books from the Nativity to Santa to just Christmas Traditions and stories.  I wanted them all mixed up.  Then while I was wrapping each book (this does take a little time...fare warning) I would write the number of the book on the bottom.  That way if they got mixed up I would still know the order.
November 2010 974
Then I went to my computer and printed out numbers.
November 2010 986
Then I got out my old school sizzix and cut out some tags.
November 2010 987
Glued the numbers and tags together and added a little ribbon for decoration and added them to the right book.
November 2010 983
Now, I have a fun stack of a Christmas Book Advent.  The last two years I have put them in a fun basket by our fireplace.  This year they may go under our Kid Tree.  We shall see.  But, they are all ready to start tomorrow.  Merry Christmas!

12 comments:

Jocelyn said...

That sounds so fun! I'll have to start collecting books.

LeAnne said...

How fun! I love advents too. :) We do a similar tradition with my mom. When we were old enough to appreciate 'nice' books she would give us a Christmas picture book each Christmas. We started when I was 9 or 10 and now I have around 20 beautiful Christmas Books. Of course I will have to be careful with the little hands in my house getting a hold of them. But still...it is a great tradition. The book I get is usually one of my favorite gifts each year.

LeAnne said...

Oh and my parents started the tradition by giving us each a copy of 'The Polar Express'.

Stacey said...

LOVE it. Anything that counts down the holiday and doesn't require CANDY or dumb toys they'll never play with again really makes me happy. And I love books and so do my kids so we would all benefit. I will definitely be doing this next year.

Keriann said...

what a great idea! I think I'm off to find some inexpensive Christmas books!

kristen said...

I just got all my books down too. I am even more excited for this tradition this year since Jane is learning too.

Deb said...

I did this one year and the kids loved it!

Clair said...

I do a modified version of this with a second grade class at school.

Chris said...

Adorable. Hmmm, do I have enough books...

Alison said...

I definitely wish we were neighbors and could trade books!! I am doing this same book advent, too! I am just getting ready to wrap up my books! I am thinking of doing an activity or craft with each book we read too. I've never heard of selling a set of used books on E-bay, so I'll have to look into that! :)

Mormishmom said...

I'm doing that too! Thanks for the reminder - I almost forgot. I got all the books pulled out a few weeks ago and then I spaced it. :)

Farah Muzaffar said...

I am a passionate reader, love to read and read... as my daughter also has this habit... but your idea is really great as a family time... just read and discuss and have some understanding time with the family.... good one Tasha...
Can you please spare a little bit of your time for my new post, its something different I hope you enjoyed
http://craftaworld.blogspot.com/
Love
Farah

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...