Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Teeny Tiny Baby Blankets for a Cause

September 2010 342
Today I have been cutting.  Cutting in the morning and again this afternoon.  Cutting tiny baby blankets.  When I say tiny I mean teeny tiny.  The smallest blankets I have ever made.  They are for babies that are born a little too early.  A little too small.  With bodies that cannot survive.  I am cutting for Mothers.  For Fathers.  For parents and family members who want to cuddle their little tiny baby for a few moments of their time here on earth.  Most hospitals have only one size of baby blankets.   They do not have a small enough blanket for these sweet spirits who are here for such a short time. 
September 2010 332
It is a service project I am putting on through my church.  Each month I help plan different activities for the women in my area for my church.  This upcoming month we are making these blankets.  We are cutting them 13" x 13".  Two pieces of flannel sewn right sides together and then turned right side out and top stitched again.  (I have been collecting flannel fabric from the ladies at my church.) We need to make at least 50 blankets to take them to the hospital.  Today I cut out 35. 
September 2010 361
As I have been cutting today I have been thinking about the families these blankets will go to.  To the Mothers and the Fathers who will hold their little one with them.  I have been praying for them.  Praying for the hard hard thing these families will be facing.  Praying that these blankets will make such a hard thing even a tiny bit easier.  Praying that they will know that they are loved and thought about and prayed for.  My heart has been heavy for them for I truly cannot imagine.  As I cut and sew and iron these blankets I hope love will be pored into them and sent along with them. 

**If you are interested in helping to create some of the blankets you can email me at mycreationcorner{at}gmail{dot}com.  I would be happy so share more information**

15 comments:

emilyc @ Sew Super Sweet said...

What a thoughtful gesture and a perfect example of how sewing can tough others. I say thank you.

Ellen said...

As an NICU nurse, I can tell you those blankets will be so very appreciated...those families will take home those blankets when they cannot take home their little babies. Those blankets will be one of a few links to their babies.
So, you will have made a huge difference in the lives of many mommies and daddies.

kristen said...

I so wish I had a blanket like this when I went through it. I am so happy that our ward is continuing with our service project. :) It makes me happy.

Kelly said...

Tasha - you have a way with words and a spirit that overflows. Thank you for this post and your generosity of faith.

Collaborations said...

I, too, would have loved to have had one of those blankets to take home 27 years ago when I left the hospital with empty arms.

You are giving such a gift!

I was blessed to have a sensitive nurse like Ellen who commented above, I praise God for NICU nurses and the comfort they bring their patients!

Carly said...

Oh so tender. 13 x 13?? That makes my heart break. Soft pinks and blues are so tender and pure.

Grammy Suzzy said...

My sweet grandson, Charles, was born two years ago this Saturday, too small to survive, and anencephalic. He was dressed in a small satin outfit, with a little hood. We were able to hold him, and love him. I am eternally grateful to the wonderful person who made that cherished outfit. My daughter in law and son have it in their home, a memory of their lost baby. What a truly special work you are doing!

Letti said...

This post was very well written. I am excited to help with this cause. I will be bringing some flannel over soon.

Maggie said...

Wow. Just Wow.

Bonnie said...

I hadn't heard of this small of blankets for the hospital. Great idea for an activity and what a blessing for families.

Gale said...

Wow...this is the third blog post I've stumbled on lately about infant loss. I'm wondering if God is putting this on my mind for a reason. What a great thing you're doing!

Kimberlee said...

What a great if sad project to be taking on. Bless you for doing this.
~Kimberlee
www.TheSpunkyDiva.blogspot.com

Maridith @ Strictly Homemade said...

Wow, I could tell you were a wonderful Christian but you heart it even bigger then I imagined. I am going to talk with my MOPS group because I would LOVE for this to be our service project this year.

I will be contacting you!

Katie@a mom, a wife, and a me said...

I just happened to stumble onto this post while looking at all your cute stuff. I want to say thank you, because on my shelf in our room is a tiny blanket we held our first daughter in. That blanket has held many tears for us and is hugly important to us. I never even thought about where it came from but realizing there is someone out there like you, who poured so much love into not even knowing us or our daughters fate... thank you your gift gives us something to hold onto when we can not phyicly hold on to your daughter.

Mindy said...

Found your blog today when searching for a car carrier tutorial. As the mother of a child gone to soon I know that this is a cherished item. Like the commenter before me my blanket has seen lots of tears, mine, my husbands and most importantly those of my children who never got to hold their baby brother. As nice as it is to know that we will be united again to have a physical something that he is linked to is priceless. That blanket cannot be replaced. Your gift does not go unnoticed. I have a special place in my heart for the young womens group that sewed the stitching around Joseph's blanket. They aren't straight stitches but each one was made with a willing heart. Thanks for sharing your talent to comfort someone in need.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...