Monday, September 13, 2010

Building and Refurbishing a Desk

I cannot claim to any of this fabulous desk my husband just built for me.  But, I thought I would share it with all of you because it is super cool.  Here is what our original desk looked like.
Computer Desk
We have had it awhile.  You know, one of those inexpensive particle board Target desks.  It had done it's job, but we were ready for something a little nicer. 
August 2010 003
See, not so great looking.  (And excuse the big mess. I took this picture while we were cleaning out the desk area and you can see the room was not clean.  At all.)   See that filing cabinet sitting in front of the desk?  My husband had brought two of them home from work. I wasn't so excited about it.  They didn't match and I really didn't like them sitting next to the particle board desk.  But, my husband got this idea.  What if he took the two filing cabinets and made a desk out them. I was definitely a fan of that.  As long as he promised to sand them down and paint the whole thing white.  He was happy to obliged. 
August 2010 020
So, he started sanding.  And sanded and sanded and sanded those things.
August 2010 425
Then he built the top using plywood as the first layer with hardboard on top of that.  We wanted it sturdy and also a top that if the kids marked on it and did things to it, it would hold.  He also added a trim all the way around it to make it look nice and finished. 
August 2010 427
He added a backing to hide some of the wires we didn't like seeing with the other desk. 
September 2010 148
Here is the finished product.  Isn't it beautiful?  I just love it.  Happiness.  White furniture is kind of an obsession of mine right now.  Plus new hardware.  That always makes a difference.  I sure love my husband.  He is always doing great things for me. 

11 comments:

Letti said...

I love it! I also saw it in person and I would have never guessed it was two filing cabinets.

Denise said...

pretty.

melonbelly said...

looks great! :) I am in need of a new desk...right now I have my laptop on a card table! ha!

www.melonbelly.blogspot.com

Carly said...

WOW! Go Brian. It looks fantastic. I love white furniture too. So clean and fresh looking!

Jaime said...

Wow, wow, wow!!! I love it!! What a crafter he is!! I think you rubbed off on him. ;)

kristen said...

Awesome!

kirstin & jordan said...

ooooh, LOVE this! gotta love those handy husbands. :)

Mormishmom said...

That is fantastic! I just got a EUC armoire that I want to paint. This has totally inspired me to do it!

Polly said...

Impressive!
I never would have though to turn those pieces into one desk. I like that you painted it a crisp white as well.
-Polly
www.learnandgopollyco.blogspot.com

Jaime said...

You should totally go link up!

http://sumossweetstuff.blogspot.com/2010/09/creative-chick-parade-furniture-fix-up.html

And while you're there enter my giveaway!! ;)

Sassy Sites! said...

WOW!!! This is an amazing redo! You've done a great job! Thanks for linking up with us for Trash to Treasure Tuesday! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...