Monday, July 19, 2010

Bookmark Tutorial and Guest Posting


Today, I am guest posting over at 30 Days during Mique's Funner in the Summer series. Go check it out here. If you haven't been following, Mique has lined up some fabulous guests every Tuesday and Thursday to share Fun Summer ideas. It has been great. Mique's 30 Days is also just a great place to get ideas on a regular basis. I have been a fan of hers since she first started her blog a couple of years ago. She is pretty fabulous.

Bookmark Tutorial
July 2010 543
As you know I love to give handmade and what you may not know is I also love books and reading. So, why not combine the two in a gift to a friend or family member. Yesterday, I made this cute bookmark as a gift for someone. It is simple and easy. Now I am ready to make another 20 more...because, well, that is how I work.
Materials:
Scraps of fabric
Fussible felt or regular felt or batting (just a scrap of this too)
Ribbon
Matching thread
Pinking scissors

First you just need some scraps of fabric. I cut two pieces of fabric that were 7 1/2 by 4 1/2 inches (brown fabric). Then I cut a long strip that was 2 inches wide to make the fun frilly center.

First I started by making the center piece. Take your long strip and you are just going to fold in pieces of the fabric as you sew it down. They don't have to be even, just how ever you want it to look. You kind of just pinch a piece of the fabric like you can see in picture 2 and then fold it down. I did it all as I went. Once you are done with a piece that is 7 1/2 inches long cut it off and then sew down the other side too. You should have two strips of sewing down the middle. (Like you can see in picture 4).

I wanted a little padding in the middle so I used some fussible felt that I had. You could use felt, batting, whatever you would like. Cut this piece 7 1/2 by 4 1/2 just like you other main two pieces. I also wanted something fun hanging out so I cut some ribbon to stick out. Fold the ribbon in half and then sandwhich all the pieces together. Rightsides of the fabric sticking out and pin them down. Then pin the ruffle across.

Make sure it is pinned down well. I started by sewing the ruffle across on first. Sew one more strip down so you will now see 3 strips of sewing down the middle. You can see it in picture 3. Then turn and sew all the way around the whole bookmark. Leave an edge because you are going to be trimming off some with pinking scears so it does not ravel too much.

It should look like picture like the top two pictures when you are done. Then grab your pinking scears and trim along the edges.
July 2010 543
Now you are done! And you have a cute bookmark to go in the book you are reading or to give as a gift.
And don't forget to check out the Funner in the Summer series over at 30 days.

14 comments:

Keriann said...

very cute tasha!

kristen said...

I just read your post over there and then saw your post here. Funny. I love that bookmark idea! I just might make some today. I have everything on hand but the pinking shears.

lynda said...

very cute! you are so creative!

Carly said...

That turned out so cute! I love it.

Alison said...

Tasha, this is fabulous!! I want to go make a bunch and snuggle up with a book!

Larissa said...

That is an awesome book mark. Just perfect for the momma to read while the wild ones play.

I also saw you link of the monster quilt and stuffed toy. I LOVED it. I just wanted to come and say hi and say awesome job...now I get to see all the other great stuff you do.

Larissa
Just Another Day in Paradise

Design Esquire said...

I am so glad that I found your blog! I found you through Chris at Pickup Some Creativity.

Design Esquire said...

I am so glad that I found your blog!

Mormishmom said...

Love it! I have both of those fabrics too ;)

Sassy Sites! said...

CUTE!! I love your blog, so adorable! I'm a follower now! Stop by Sassy Sites and say hi! ;)

Jerri said...

Very cute! I love the fabrics!

Kimbo West @ a girl and a glue gun said...

so cute! love the colors..love the ruffle!

simplydesigning.blogspot.com said...

this is so cute! I love reading and I always need a bookmark, but I think it is crazy to spend $5-$10 on a bookmark, and the $1 ones are so ugly...what a great solution to this!!

Thanks for linking up!

Chic Creations said...

What a great idea. Thank you so much for sharing. I am going to make a bunch of these.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...