Friday, May 7, 2010

Simple Superhero Cape Tutorial

May 2010 039
A superhero party is going on at our house this weekend!! I have been planning and making for it all week long. One of the fun things I've been working on is a cape and mask for all the kids to wear. At first I was going to do it out of shiny fabric. But, I just couldn't find what I wanted in a price range that was right. Then I thought it might be fun for the kids to decorate the capes themselves with a logo or initial on them. Each kid is going to make up which superhero they want to be. It can be a superhero they already know...or it can be a pretend one they make up themselves. So, I decided to go with felt fabric. It couldn't be simpler then this. No sewing accept for the Velcro. So, all you non big sewers out there here is a super easy cape for you to make for your kids. This is what I did.
May 2010 024
Buy felt by the yard. I bought in 1/2 yard increments because these are capes for smaller kids. If you want a larger cape maybe go for 3/4 yard or 1 yard. I got two capes out of 1/2 yard of fabric. Fold the fabric in half length wise and cut out a cape shape. Mine is 25 inchs in length from neckline to the bottom of the cape and 18 inches across at the bottom of the cape. I am making 12 of these and did them in all different colors.
May 2010 028
Then buy sew on Velcro. I cut out rectangle pieces and sewed on the Velcro to the strap part.
May 2010 030
Then walla...you are done! How easy is that. The kids will be adding a logo or initial at the party. I am sure I will post pictures when they are all done. Couldn't be simpler then this!
May 2010 035
And here is the birthday boy with all the capes. He is pretty excited for the party!

10 comments:

Lorie said...

Very cute! And I love the tutorial!

kristen said...

So fun! Can I be a superhero too? :)

Chris said...

I'm sure the party is going to be a hit. Way to go, Mom! :)

Jamie C. said...

That is a great idea to let the kids decorate their own capes. What will they use? And good thinking about the felt. THe kids will love them!

Cari said...

I just threw a superhero themed party for my son a few weeks ago. We also decorated felt capes. The kids LOVED it. We also played a 'game' where my hubby dressed up as a bad guy and dropped tons of 'bombs' (aka. black balloons) on the kiddos and they had to save the world by popping all of the bombs before they could explode. I think this was their favorite part of the party, although it was crazy loud! Hope you guys have as much fun as we did.

宛蓉 said...

may the blessing be always with you!! ........................................

Denise said...

i am currently making 4 super hero capes myself.

so easy, and will def. bless the little boys i'm making them for.

but i wish i would have known how to make them when my boy was little. would have been GREAT party favors/gifts.

have fun!

Sheri@childmade.com said...

Well, isn't that simple! I do tend to overwork things. Thanks for sharing ... I've posted a link.

Nike said...

So cute - I've got to try this for my boys!

Alison said...

So I am thinking of making Superman capes for the hubs for Father's Day!! And possibly make capes for me and Little Man, too! Thanks for the idea! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...