Monday, March 8, 2010

Shamrock Dishtowels

I did it. I finally made something for St. Patrick's Day. Lets just let out a big sigh of relief. I have had all these little idea of things I wanted to do. I really really wanted to make a wooden sign. It has yet to happen. But, today I made these dish towels. Happy day. They are simple, iron on, sew down, dish towels. But, I finally have something to show that this fun holiday is coming. My 5 year old loved them too. He had to tell me all about the leprechauns that come from Ireland. It was great. So here is what I did to make them.
I found a shamrock on google images, printed it out and cut it out. Traced it onto heat and bond lite (I sure love this stuff!) then cut around it and ironed it onto the green fabric.
It should look something like this. Then I cut it all the way out and ironed it onto the towel.
Just like this. See, easy peasy.
Then I stitched it down. I decided to go with white thread, even though I know some of you are thinking "White on green??? Really???" But, I kind of wanted a little contrast. I don't know why. I just did.
And there you go. A fun dish towel for the holiday. Oh, it makes me happy.
I actually made two. One for me and one for my oldest son's school teacher. I am going to tie it up with a note that he writes out that says "I am lucky to have you as a teacher."
So, go ahead. Try it. It was simple and now has a lovely home in my kitchen next to a green and white striped towel. Happy St. Patrick's Day.

11 comments:

Jaime said...

Perfect.

simplydesigning.blogspot.com said...

These turned out really cute!! I just made a dish towel too...it will post tomorrow on my blog. But now I want to make these ones too!!

Stacey @ Fun to Craft said...

These look great!! I love them!!

Kaysi said...

These are super cute!

Letti said...

Love it. So cute and I love the note that you are attaching for his teacher.

Mia said...

oh my gosh!!!! love them! st patrick's day is like one of my favorite hoildays and not because it's just before my birthday, but because it's all and clovers and green!!!

Carly Jane said...

They turned out so cute! I'm lovin contrasting stitching these days too :).

ps. where did you get yoru dish towels? I've bought those kind before, but couldn't find them last time I looked...

Kari said...

The contrasting thread was the way to go - these are super cute!

Hoosier Homemade said...

Those are super cute! Thanks for sharing!
I'm visiting from Tip Junkie!
~Liz

Maridith said...

You know I do not own one thing to decorate for St Patricks day! I think you have inspired me!!

Thanks!!

Always love your stuff!!

Also, on March 20 I am hosting a Gifts from the Heart Challenge. To show us some of the gifts people have handmade!! I would love it if you were to join me!!

Take care!

Lori said...

These turned out great. It sounds like you and your son had a fun time making these.

Thanks for joining Get Your Craft on Thurs. Please come by next week for another great party.
Lori

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...