Last week I shared this tutorial at It's FUN to Craft while doing a blog swap. I thought I would also share it here.
Start by gathering your supplies: Headband, fabric, hair clips, buttons, covered buttons, needle and thread, small scraps of felt, rotary cutter, and a hot glue gun.
Hair Clip Tutorial
1. Cut your fabric 2 3/4 inches by 22 inches.
2. Fold your fabric in half with right sides outward. Grab your needle and thread and start gather stitching your fabric together.
3. Keep gathering and pull tight as you go. It should start folding into the flower.
4. When you have gathered all the material shape it into the flower and sew all the pieces down together. You will need to anchor it in a couple different spots. Tie off the thread.
5. Grab your hot glue and glue on a button or fun something for the middle. I used a fabric covered button.
6. On the back cut out a small circle of felt and glue down. Then hot glue your hair clip onto it.
Walla you are done!
Fabric Headband Tutorial
1. Cut your fabric 3 3/4 inches by 27 inches (This is a larger fabric flower then the hair clip)
2. Follow the same steps for the hair clip where you will gather the fabric with needle and thread and make your flower. Then add the fun button on top. Again I used a fabric covered button.
3. Cut strips of fabric to cover your headband. They need to be about 1 inch thick and as long as you would like. You just need enough to go over the enter headband.
4. Cut two 2 inch pieces off of your strip. These will cover the ends of the headband.
5. Glue one side onto one end of the headband.
6. Fold the sides over and hot glue those onto the headband.
7. You will do this on both ends.
8. Now glue down one of your strips with a little hot glue and start wrapping it around the headband.
9. Keep going. You need to wrap the fabric all the way around it. Keep add on strips as you need to.
10. The headband should be completely covered when you are finished.
11. Hot glue the fabric flower onto the headband on the side. Cut a circle piece of matching felt and hot glue that on top.
12. The finished product!
Now, you should have fun hair accessories for your daughter, yourself, a birthday present for a friend, or whatever you would like to use them for. I also make the flower hair clip a pin I can wear too. There are lots of fun possibilities!