Monday, February 15, 2010

Racetrack Car Carrier Tutorial


For Valentine's Day I wanted to make my gift for my boys. I had seen Car Cozies all over the place, but decided I wanted to come up with a racetrack style one. (Since my 5 year old really loves playing racetrack with his cars.) Here is what I came up with.

Racetrack Car Carrier Tutorial:
Materials you will need
1 14x14 inch square of backing fabric
1 14x14 inch square of front fabric
1 9x14 inch packet fabric
1 black square of felt (the ones you can buy at Walmart, Micheals, Joann's that are precut squares)
matching threads
Matching Ribbon (about 1 yard)

Instructions:
Cut out your back fabric to 14x14 inches. Cut out your pocket fabric to be 9x14 inches. Cut out your front fabric to 14x14 inches. Take your back fabric and your pocket fabric and lay them out together. Take the pocket fabric (that is my blue fabric) and you are going to fold it in half so now it will be 4 1/2 inches by 14 inches.
Iron the pocket fabric in half so the crease is nice and flat. Lay the pocket fabric at the bottom of your back fabric. Make sure your back fabric is facing right side up. You are going to put the pocket fabric down at the bottom with the open ends of the folded fabric at the bottom. Next, you will pin down the lines you will sew for the car pockets. I made mine 3 1/2 inches apart so the matchbox type cars will have plenty of room. You then will sew down the lines for your pockets.
They should look like this when you are finished. Next, take your black rectangle of felt. (I don't have a picture of mine. Somehow I missed taking a picture of it. But, do you know what I am talking about?) And you are going to cut out your racetrack. I made one that looked more like an eight for one son and one that was more oval for the other son. I just free hand them. I tried to use most of the felt rectangle. Just make sure it is going to fit on the rest of your backing fabric with the pockets and leave room for you to sew around it. Then pin those racetracks down where you want them. After you have pinned them down you will sew them down. After you have finished that, you will grab your other front side square of fabric. Put both sides together with right sides together facing inward. Pin them together. Before you sew them down you are going to also insert your ribbon. You need to fold the ribbon in half (with right sides together). You want it to stick out a little (the folded end). You are going to put it on one of the ends where the pockets area is. (See the blue pocket on the top.) This ribbon is going to be what ties the whole carrier together. Next, sew the whole thing together leaving about a 2-3 inch whole where you can turn it right side out. Then turn it right side out. I use a chop stick or knitting needle to get my corners to push out good. Once it is all turned out nicely you are going to iron it down flat. After that you will sew one more time all the way around to keep it together. This also closes up your 2-3 inche hole. Here are my two finished and folded together in thirds. No cars in them yet, obviously.
And here is the finished product with 4 cars folded up inside. My boys just loved them! As you can see. They played with them all day. Instead of ribbon, you could also do a strap with velcro. Just an idea. I happen to be a ribbon girl.

22 comments:

Maridith said...

Cute cute!! As a mom of a boy I know my son would love this!! Great tutorial!! I am going to add this to my "to do list"

Carly Jane said...

I LOVE that you used red fabrics (of course they were Valentine gifts... so what else would you use??) and that they turned out so dang cute. Of course they loved them too!

I LOVE YOU!

Letti said...

I love this. I didn't end up getting my kids anything but they didn't seem to mind.

Steph @ somewhatsimple said...

Love this idea!!!

Laurie Turk said...

That is genius and would make such a fabulous birthday and Christmas gift.

Thank you so much for linking it to Tip Junkie! My readers are going to love it. You're brilliant.

Patricia L said...

What a great idea! I'm going to give this a try for my son's birthday this spring. Thanks!

Sarah said...

That is brilliant. I love it!
God's blessings,
Sarah :D

The Bearded Lady (Laura) said...

You worked really hard!! Great job and great idea!! Thanks for sharing!!

simplydesigning.blogspot.com said...

This is such a great idea and I love the tutorial! I will have to make one after my little boy arrives in the next couple of weeks! Thanks for sharing!

sarahbeth2702 said...

Thanks for sharing! It's been added to my to-do list!

Karen said...

These are so stinking cute! they would be perfect for my grandsons. thank you!

Carole B. said...

What a cute idea. My boys would have played with them all day long too, but now they drive the real thing.

Kim @ Everything Etsy said...

I'm a tutorial junkie and this is such a great idea. I might have to try that for a gift.

Thanks for joining the linky party! :)

~Kim

Marianne@Songbird said...

Neat idea! Pretty, organizational and playful.

Debbie in Nashville said...

What a great idea. This is so cute!

Lori said...

This is really cute.

Thanks for joining Get Your Craft on Thurs. at Life As Lori

Please join me next week for another great party!

Kaysi said...

This is so cute! I really want to make some for my boys, it would be great for church. Thanks for the idea :)
Kaysi

Mel said...

VERY {CUTE}!!

Can I post a link on my son's blog?
www.urbansfamily.blogspot.com

Thanks for sharing!

Mason/Sam/Family said...

Hi - I found your tutorial the other day and couldn't resist making a couple of these for my sons. Thanks - super super easy to follow and really fun. They've been playing with them nonstop since I finished them. http://tssimplecreations.blogspot.com/2010/07/my-racetrack-car-carriers.html

Steph @ somewhatsimple said...

So fun! I am featuring this on somewhatsimple this Tuesday! Thanks for the idea!
-Steph

shantel said...

Really cute! I'm featuring it on my blog:
seemesew.blogspot.com

meg.. said...

I just wanted to let you know how much I *love* and appreciate this tutorial. I have made several of these as gifts, and will continue to make them. Thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...