Thursday, February 25, 2010

Birthday Hat #2 (Tutorial)

Happy Birthday to me! Aren't Birthday's the best. I have had a lovely morning with lots of singing by 4 amazing boys in my life. Yummy breakfast sitting at the same table enjoying each other, and my husband is coming home for lunch, bringing lunch, and we are going to celebrate with cake and ice cream and opening presents. Yep, it is sounding like a good birthday!

So, to celebrate my birthday (along with my niece's yesterday) I am hosting the 2nd Birthday Hat I made. And this one is by far my favorite. Pretty much because it is SO stinkin cute on all my kids. (I had to try it on all of them for sizing purposes. Now they all want one.) Can you see why? So fun. And, so all of you can make one, here is a tutorial of what I did for the brown one.
Materials Needed:
Fabric for your number 1
Matching fabric for the covering the elastic. (1 3/4 inches x 18 inches)
A small piece of Heat and Bond Lite
9 inches of elastic. I used 1/2 inch
Paper to create your pattern
matching thread
First, I gathered all my materials and started drawing out some different patterns to see what I would like best. (See how I folded the paper in half to make them symmetrical.)
Then I cut out my patterns. The top one ended up being the one I chose to go with.
You are going to put it on top of the felt and cut out 2 of these pieces.
To get your 1 you will trace a 1 backwards onto the Heat and Bond Lite then iron it onto the 1 fabric you want and then cut it out and iron it on.
Sew the 1 down. I used a zigzag stitch.
It should look something like this when you are done.
Next take your strip fabric you are going to cover the elastic with. Fold it in half with right sides together and sew all the way down. Then using pinking shears to trim it down.
I use this nifty tool to turn my fabric. You could also use a safety pin. But, really, you should get one of these. I don't know how any sewer lives without one. It is a well used tool.
Clip it onto your fabric and then pull your fabric right side out.
Next, attach the same tool to the 9 inch piece of elastic and pull it through the fabric. I always pin one end so it doesn't pull all the way through.
Sew the elastic and fabric together so it doesn't slip around.
Lastly, you are going to pin the two pieces of felt together and out the elastic into each end and sew the whole hat together. Sew all the way around. It may be a little difficult and tricky, but you can do it.
Then you have this darling Birthday hat/crown! Isn't it fun. I am in love with it. I think I have another new obsession.
And the winner for Maggie's Hat . . . .
This Pink Polka Dot One!! I loved the Brown one so much, but wanted more polka dots since that is the birthday theme. So, this second one was created using the same pattern. (Only I ironed on fun fabric onto one of the pieces of felt.) I am in love with both of them.
But, since I really do not need 2 Birthday Hats for a 1 year old, I am going to sell the brown one in my etsy shop.
You just might be seeing a lot more of these in my etsy shop. And my friend gave me a brilliant idea with the numbers. So, we will see if I can figure it out. Fun stuff. Happy Birthday to me and Miss Maggie! I seriously love Birthdays.


Carly Jane said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! I love em! Wow, they are cute. You're going to make a red one for Raymond, right? Don't worry, you have three months for that one. Seriously, killer cute.


Jaime said...

Way cute! Great job, and have a great birthday!

joyous said...

It looks like the elastic is a bit lower on the brown one. Did it work better to put it in the middle on the pink one? I love them both. I think the simplicity of the crown pattern is what makes it adorable. Good luck making the numbers interchangeable, that will be cool!!!

Andrea said...

Happy Birthday! Great birthday crown!

Lori said...

Happy Birthday!!! What great crowns..

Thanks for joining Get your Craft on Thurs. Please join me next week for another great party.


Letti said...

They turned out so good. said...

These turned out SO cute! I love them! Great idea!

Kaysi said...

What a great idea! I love it!

The Girl Creative said...

Wow - soooo adorable! I want one! lol Thanks for linking up. :)

JulieChats said...

So DARN cute! :) Hope you had a great birthday!

Just stopping by from Today's Creative! Signed up to follow you! Stop by my blog when you get a chance, I'm always looking for a few more crafty followers!

Carolyn @ My Backyard Eden said...

Those are SO cute! You made an awesome tutorial too!

Thanks so much for linking up to Make it Yours day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...