Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Baby Bib Tutorial

For the baby shower I did this last weekend I made 16 bibs and had the guests decorate them. I thought I would post a tutorial on how I made the bibs.

Materials:
Front Fabric
Back Fabric (Generally I use flannel or terry cloth for the back fabric because it is absorbent.)
matching thread

First, I find a bib that I really like. In this case the bib measured 7 inches across by 9 inches down. I fold it in half and lay it on fabric that is folded in half. Then cut about a 1/4 -1/2 inch wider then the bib.
Remember, I was cutting out a lot of bibs. You will need one of the front fabric and one of the back fabric for each bib you want to make.
Then you are going to pin the front and back pieces together with right sides facing inward toward each other.
I did this to a lot of bibs.
You then are going to sew the two bibs together leaving a 2 inch hole somewhere long the bib. I like to leave mine at the bottom of the bib, but you can do it where you like.
It should look like this when you are done.
Next grab your scissors. You are going to make small little cuts along any curved edges on the bib. Make sure to NOT cut into the stitching though. They are just little snips. It is going to help when you turn the bib right side out to not have the fabric buckle on the curve areas.
See, just little snips. Be careful.
Then start turning it right side out through the little 2 inch hole you left.
I like to use chop sticks or knitting needles to poke out all the corners and edges. When you are done with that iron the whole bib nice and flat.
Finally, you are going to sew along the entire outside of the bib. This finishes it off and will close up that 2 inch hole.
And you will have fun bibs to decorate and use for your baby. Most of the time when I make these for people as gifts I use fun fabrics.

11 comments:

Carly Jane said...

That is seriously a lot of bibs. I need to make a few for baby gifts coming up and am excited because I just got my little pliers for putting in plastic snaps. No more velcro! Fun fun.

Michelle said...

Thanks, I was wondering the particulars of making my own bibs, I am getting induced tomorrow and look forward to making some once we get settled.

Julie said...

That's a great idea for a baby shower!

The Yorgason's said...

That is so cute! I will have to make some! Great job!

Andrea said...

That's a lot of bibs! Great work! Thanks for linking up.
Andrea @ TheTrainToCrazy.com

Cas said...

You did so good! I am trying to talk myself into making bibs...I have to motivate myself since I haven't sewed very much. It sure helped reading your tutorial though...so thanks!

Jerri said...

Nice job on these and great tutorial! I'd like to invite you to come over for my first Friday Favorites event. Each week I'll be highlighting some of the posts that are linked up. Would love to see you there!

Jerri said...

Nice job on these and great tutorial! I'd like to invite you to come over for my first Friday Favorites event. Each week I'll be highlighting some of the posts that are linked up. Would love to see you there!

Jerri said...

Nice job on these and great tutorial! I'd like to invite you to come over for my first Friday Favorites event. Each week I'll be highlighting some of the posts that are linked up. Would love to see you there!

Lori said...

These are so cute. Great job.

Thanks for joining Get your Craft on Thurs. Please join me next week for another great party.

Lori

Kama said...

Very cute! Think I'll be making these for my sis-in-law's shower!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...