Monday, January 11, 2010

Initial Canvas Bag Tutorial

My friends little girl turned 2 this last week and I wanted to come up with a cute little gift for her. I have seen some fun canvas bags out there and so I came up with my own pattern of one.

Canvas Fabric
Fun trim (I used ribbon and ricrac)
Sewing machine and matching thread
Some sort of handles (I made mine out of extra canvas)

Since my friends little girl is only 2 I decided to make the bag small. I cut the canvas fabric about 22 inches by 10 inches. You can pick how big or small you want your bag to be. You only need one rectangle of the canvas fabric. Next you are going to add your trims. I wanted my trim on the front and back of the fabric. I used iron on ribbon and then sewed my ricrac on.

Remember, you want to line up the ribbon and ricrac so when you sew the two sides together they will match up.

I then sewed down the ricrac. Remember you want matching thread!

I wanted to put the little girls initial on the front. I traced on the letter J (backwards)onto iron-on transfer paper. Then cut it out and ironed it on. I used sewable iron-on transfer paper. But, you could use no sew and then not worry about sewing it down. (I like the look of it sewn down.)

Then sew it down.

Next, fold the two sides of the fabric together and sew down both sides. Then turn it right side out.

You will then turn down the top fabric (that is unfinished) and sew it down. Now, you will have a completed bag except for the handles. Either make your own handles or use ribbon. I made mine with strips of canvas. You will next sew them down. I just zigged mine on because it was quicker and i knew it would work with this bag.

It ended up turning out pretty cute! I then filled it with fun hair bows as the rest of her present. She loved it!


Keriann said...


Deb said...

very cute bag!

Lisa O said...

Oooo, that bag is darling! I can just see a two year old little girl loving that and filling it with all of her special treasures. Thanks for all the pictures too. I love all of your ideas Tasha. You really are so talented.

The Yorgason's said...

That is super cute and a girl can never have too many bags (at any age). Great job!

Kimberly said...

Super cute for a little girl and so easy to do for girls of all ages!

Julie said...

cute cute cute!! no girls here to make cute things for!!! since their friends are 99% boys too I am stuck with boring old boy stuff - which means nothing creative!!!

Steph @ somewhatsimple said...

I am so featuring this!

Steph @ somewhatsimple said...

I am featuring this on Tuesday- I have the post ready already- hope that is ok! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...